Saturday, November 14, 2015

Gratefulness for Teaching

While a graduate student at California State University, Chico, I was privileged in having the opportunity to teach five semesters––Beginning Photography and 2D Design. So much opportunity is unusual and I am grateful for the circumstances which allowed me to practice so much teaching. After graduating in 2014 I was ready, willing, and able to start teaching a graphic design class at Shasta College in Redding, CA. The class combines both beginning and intermediate-level students – so it is like I am teaching two classes in the one. This past semester I was also given an Introduction to Art History class to teach. With 50 students in the class it is nearly twice the number of students I am used to teaching at one time. In addition, it is also a non-studio course – the dynamics are very different, creating a good mix of being challenging, rewarding, and fun. 

Essentially the point of this post is to say that I am grateful for teaching, not just the opportunity to teach and to influence others, but I that am also grateful for all the teachers who have influenced me throughout my life. Education is a profoundly wonderful aspect of being alive. Its sad that it is fraught with so many complications in our world––but that is another story. I am choosing thankfulness for here and now.