Friday, May 6, 2016

"Sheeted Figure in Room with Cone" Appears in Redding, CA

My image “Sheeted Figure in Room with Cone” was chosen to be in the North Valley Art League’s International Juried Photography Show. The exhibition is held at the Carter House Gallery in Redding, CA, from May 3 to June 4, 2016, with a reception on Saturday, May 7, from 6 to 8pm. I am excited to see the exhibition in person as the NVAL site is showing some very interesting imagery by artists from all over the world! 


Sheeted Figure in Room with Cone, © 2013 Jon Lynn McCallum

About this image...

The sheeted figure confronts, and yet denies, the probing eye of photography. Countering our material culture, the figure seems to say, “Know me by my voice––by what’s inside of me––by who I really am––rather than mere appearances.”
As a child I experienced difficulty in speaking and in being understood by others, and this informed my sense of self and my perceived ability to navigate through the world. A strong and mysterious force, the human voice has thus become a lifelong curiosity and is regarded as both a transmitter and a metaphor of our human essence.